| 301.325.8290 | serving the MD|DC Metro Area

Thank you for your interest I am currently on maternity leave until March of 2010. If you would like to book a session please send an email to or book using the link at the bottom of the blog. I will only be taking 4-6 sessions for the first few months so space is very limited! If you have previously sent an email and have not received a response as of Friday January 22nd please resend your question. Having been on bed rest for so long some communications have been lost in the shuffle! I look forward to the opportunity to work with you and your families!

~ Christine Lillard | | 301.325.8290


I'm Baaaack | Maryland Newborn Photographer

Well not technically back(until March...already booking sessions only 3 slots left, book yours at the bottom of the page!) but I did want to let everyone know I'm still amongst the living! It's been a crazy few months and I'm going to try to sum it all up in one big beautiful blog post for you. :)


This happened in May...

We were excited and surprisingly ready for our third child. It was very planned no question we were ready to have one more. Due to my history of miscarriage we held our breath through those first few months. Until we saw a tiny flicking heart beat and saw sweet peas' tiny profile.


Having previously had a preemie I was monitored constantly with appointments every 3 weeks to monitor for any worrisome changes(I won't bore you with the countless ultrasounds)At around 12 weeks I was told that I needed to rest a bit more my cervix was ok but on the short side. So for four hours every day I hung out on the couch on my left side. At 16 weeks I started a shot called 17p to help keep me pregnant. It made me sick as a DOG for the first few weeks. Thankfully by 20 weeks or so my body had adjusted to the added hormone. At 29 weeks I had my first big scare had some very light spotting and decided to head to the hospital to be checked out. My cervix was dilating and thinning more than they had previously seen so I was given steriod shots and sent home on strict bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. I made it a week at home. My water broke one afternoon when I stood up to walk to the bathroom. We headed to the hospital where I was put on antibiotics and monitored.

On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I started having labor pains around 8pm by 3 am I was convinced that I was having a baby and called my husband to stay near home just in case. They hooked me up to some fluids and by 5 am the contractions were gone. Wednesday several lovely friends came by to visit with the first one coming around 10:00 in the morning and the last one leaving at 9:00 at night. Around 11pm the contractions started up again about every 30 mins. They were mild. I slept until around 5:00 am Thanksgiving morning when a harder contraction woke me up. It was around 10:00 that my doctor decided they needed to watch me in labor and delivery so they could keep a closer eye on me. When your water breaks early they don't do anything to stop labor nor to start it, your body is on its own to do it's own thing...kind of nice that they let nature work itself out. When so often the OB field is full of interventions. At 10:30 I was in labor and delivery and not entirely convinced I was having a baby that day. At 11:00 I called my husband and told him he should come just in case. He had the girls and had to get them to his parents. He made it to the hospital around 11:45. By then I was convinced I was having sweet pea. I was 31 weeks 6 days. We had talked to the Neonatologist earlier in the week we knew the risks that our little pea faced. We were worried but surprisingly calm. Things went fairly quickly after that around 12:40 his grandmother (bless her) stopped by to bring me lunch, shrimp and apple strudel. It was amusing even to me in the heat of a contraction.

At 1:12pm on Thanksgiving Day Madigan Grace made her appearance with the sweetest little cry. The Neonatologist was in the room and quickly swept her off to evaluate her and get her to the NICU. My nurse asked her if Jack(dh) could come over and get some pictures and she said no, our hearts broke, but then we saw her bringing Madi Grace over to us in a sweet little bundle. She was breathing room air on her own...she was just perfect. I don't think I've ever cried so hard. It was such a relief to have her here after the long months of bedrest and copious doctors appointments, the worry of that chapter washed away. (My mom will tell you they were saying grace at that exact moment...she really wants us to call her 'Gracie' :)) I got to hold her for a few minutes before they took her back to the NICU.

About an hour later I got to go visit her in the nicu and was happily greeted by Dr Miller who told me she required no oxygen and he was doing wonderfully. I got to hold her the next morning, she was taking her feeds by mouth that evening. She did amazingly well her doctors were shocked at her progress. She came home just 14 days later weighing 4lbs 7oz She never had any alarms or issues.

We are blessed with a strong beautiful girl who looks a lot like her daddy with a head full of dark hair. My husband was able to be home with us for the first 6 weeks...she still had to eat every two hours until this past week. She generally makes it around 2.5 hours on her own during the day and about 3 at night. She has survived one cold brought home by my 5 yr old.. ahh the joys of pre school..and is trying to avoid a second one. It almost makes me want to keep us all in a bubble until spring! I have yet to be able t6o do a proper session with her...she is 8 weeks old on Thursday. Had I the forethought I totally would have commissioned another photographer to capture this's hard to feed a baby every 2 hours (for 30minutes at a minimum) and find time in between to do a session! I have gotten a few pictures though.

beanandpeawebIMG_3034IMG_3070 copyIMG_3065IMG_3459IMG_3356 copyIMG_3389cIMG_3377 copyIMG_3293IMG_3289b


Sue said...

She is just stunning. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter!

Lori said...

What an ordeal. I'm so glad your sweet gorgeous babe is home safe and sound!

Jenny said...

Congratulations for such a beautiful baby. I'm so happy for you and your family.